GTA:Berlin » Models » Buildings » Old National Gallery
Last Update: 26.3.2008
Old National Gallery
The Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery) on Museum Island in Berlin is a gallery showing many important 19th century works from the collection of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.
The Nationalgalerie was founded in 1861, after the donations of 262 paintings by banker Johann Heinrich Wagener. The collection was first housed in the buildings of the Akademie der Künste. The current building, shaped like a Roman temple with an appended apse was planned by Friedrich August Stüler in 1865, following a sketch by King Frederick William IV of Prussia, and its construction between 1869 and 1876 was overseen by Heinrich Strack. The building was heavily damaged in World War II air raids. It was partly reopened in 1949, but reconstruction continued until 1969. Between 1998 and 2001, the museum was renovated thoroughly. Some extra halls were added on the uppermost floor and now contain the Romantic works.
Source: Alte Nationalgalerie (Wikipedia)
Authors: List of authors
License: GNU Free Documentation License